Great article from Only in Your State – “10 Firsts for Wyoming“
“When you think of Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, and Jackson Hole are usually the first things that come to mind. However, there are so many other things about Wyoming that are just as notable. Here is a list of some impressive “firsts” that most people don’t associate with Wyoming. Interestingly enough, a lot of these have had a significant impact on our country.”
1. Wyoming is the first state in the United States to have a public county library.
2. Wyoming is home to the first national park in the nation.
3. Wyoming is home to the world’s first national monument.
4. Wyoming is home to the first business west of the Missouri River.
5. Women in Wyoming became the first in the nation to obtain the right to vote.
6. Wyoming is home to the first national forest.
7. Wyoming is home to the first JC Penney store.
8. Wyoming had the first female governor.
9. The first and only monument in the United States built in honor of a prostitute is located in Wyoming.
10. Wyoming is home to the first and only building built with fossilized dinosaur bones in the United States.